Rygbi Gogledd Cymru, the cooperative community interest company, which established and managed the current North Wales Regional Rugby Team, went into liquidation today (19th Jan 2011).
The team has been absorbed into the WRU National Academy and continues to play.
During it’s short existence Rygbi Gogledd Cymru had a significant impact on the development of individuals, rugby, organisations and infrastructure in North Wales. Directly or as a catalyst it:-
- Created a regional rugby identity and brand (Gogledd Cymru and subsequently RGC1404),
- Offered senior players, referees and spectators the experience of high quality rugby,
- Identified Parc Eirias as the most suitable venue for the team, stimulating a £6.5 million regeneration investment which will have a major impact on Colwyn Bay,
- Provided a vehicle for the development of Canadian Rugby,
- Facilitated the return of a former Wales Coach to the International Rugby stage,
- Organised the world’s first open International Rugby Injuries Conference,
- Initiated innovative research into the use of virtual reality simulators to improve rugby skills,
- Improved the participation of physiotherapists in North Wales rugby through the establishment of Rugbyphysios,
- Successfully managed the North Wales Rugby Team, for almost four years; the team were finalists in the last ever Welsh Counties Cup in 2007 and Rugby World's Team of the Year in 2008,
- Organised the first reunion dinner for former North Wales Rugby players,
- Forged a pathway by which any North Wales side could potentially achieve a Welsh Premiership place,
- Revived the Rydal Vikings Rugby team and an historic fixture, by inaugurating the annual Bleddyn Williams Trophy match.
Unfortunately, unlike a true catalyst, this activity has consumed RGC-CIC.
The Board of Directors would like to thank all those that supported us. We successfully raised the profile of rugby in a region, which represents half the landmass and a third of the populations of Wales.
None of this would have been possible without the enthusiasm, dedication and uncompromising pursuit of rugby excellence of coach Jon Aby (Head Coach Feb2007-Dec2009). Welsh Rugby will always be indebted to him.